Saturday, September 1, 2012

Daddy! Get the Mail!

Recently, I have discovered that Brandon, bastion of law enforcement, has a fatal flaw. This flaw will hinder him the remainder of his life in his efforts to fight crime and gather our mail. You, gentle reader, will discover this flaw as I spin you a tale of frustration, promises unfulfilled, and unexplained occurrences.

About a month ago, Grandma came to visit our new Colorado home. She, being Grandma, brought a host of small toys designed to entertain the ankle biters for a few glorious moments. Among these toys was a glow stick and a watch that flashed multiple colors across its face. Drew was smitten by these things to the point, that he wore that watch more than Grandma when actually the watch belonged to her. When Grandma left, she promised Drew that she would send him more glow sticks and some other fun things in the mail.

A couple of weeks later, the day of glory (school starting) arrived. The before promised package had not arrived but Drew had pretty much forgotten about it unless prodded to memory by either Grandma or his father. Grandma asked Dad multiple times if the package had arrived and the responses were always negative....until tonight.

The scene: The whole family is lounging like rock stars across our bed if you can call it lounging as I am smushed by two toddlers jumping up and down upon my stomach, shrieking, "Giddyup!!" repeatedly. Drew and Brandon are attempting to pummel each other and are rolling around, endangering the very estrogen existence of the house.

Brandon: Man! I wonder what happened to that package my mom sent. She keeps asking me about it.
Me: How did she send it? UPS? FedEx?
Brandon: UPS.
Me: Did she get a tracking number or some kind of receipt confirmation?
Brandon: Nope....You never saw it?
Me: Nope.
Brandon: Well, it was never in the mailbox.

(Side note - We do not have a mailbox parked in front of our house. It's a row of metal boxes located up the street and I do not check the mail. Brandon has the only mail key in the house therefore all snail mail correspondence goes through him and yes, for some reason, he does open my mail. Amberly, send me a plastic snake, will ya?)

Me: Well, you checked the over-sized box for packages, right?
Brandon: (complete silence)
Me: You know? The one used for packages that wouldn't fit in our box?
Brandon: What are you talking about?
Me: The two big boxes at the bottom of the mailbox? With the one key sticking out and another empty keyhole? They put the other key in your box if you have a package in one.
Brandon: Ohhhhhhh. That's what that other key was for.
Me: (Total silence followed by shrieks of laughter) You have got to be kidding me!!
Brandon: Yeah! I didn't know what the hell it was for.
Me: (Still laughing) No clue, huh?
Brandon: Yeah, it was pissing me off that they kept leaving this key in our box. I just started throwing it to the ground cause it wasn't ours.
Me: OMG!!! Please tell me you are joking.
Brandon: So, you mean that package was in the box the whole time?
Me: (am resisting banging head against nearest flat surface) Yep. The mail key's on your keyring, right?
Brandon: (look of sheepishness crossing face as he realizes I will torture him with this for at least the next two years) Yeah.

After redepositing the dynamic duo on Daddy's tummy, I went out to the mail box. In the box was our mail. No key. I could only assume after picking up and replacing the box key often enough while uttering profanities linking with Brandon's name, the postal worker had given up trying to tell us that we had a package. Just for giggles, I thought I would check both package boxes. One was locked up tight and sans key, I wasn't getting in. The other wasn't locked at all and inside was a rectangular brown package addressed to the masses under ten in our home. Success!!! Now, to suck up to the tortured postal worker before the craze of Christmas....

Side note: I have been instructed to include Brandon's rant about how the postal worker should be leaving notes or some form of instruction as people cannot be expected to know that a key with a box number on it goes to that particular box. I feel years of fun for me as a result of this incident.

I took the box home and ripped it open for the kiddos revealing a wealth of glow sticks, bracelets, and even a ball of sorts along with watches and a notebook for me to record shining examples of Ludwig brilliance such as seen tonight. ;) This led to a jumble of glow sticks on the night stand after they all finally gave into the Sandman.





And on that shining, quiet note, I bid you, "Good night." All is well in the house of Ludwig tonight.

No comments: